Hi there! I'm Maria Ahrens, and I am a watercolor artist and fashion illustrator in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I find inspiration in many different things, but I especially love to draw people. My love of drawing emerged as soon as I was old enough to hold a crayon, and I grew up taking as many art classes as I could cram into my schedule. As a teenager, I developed an interest in fashion design and planned on pursuing a career in that.
I completed a year of the Apparel Design program at the University of Minnesota before deciding that I wanted more of a business focus and switched my major to Retail Merchandising. Even after entering the professional world, I didn't really believe that I could build a successful business around my artwork. My husband and friends saw the potential long before I did, but I eventually launched my business in November 2016.
Drawing/painting really is the thing that sets my soul on fire. Getting to use these skills to create things for other people to enjoy brings me indescribable happiness. I'm very grateful for the opportunities that I've had so far to share my vision, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Thank you for supporting my art and visiting my shop!
- I have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life. I currently reside in Minneapolis with my husband, Russ, and our houseplants (no pets or kids yet).
- The only professional sport I follow with any dedication is women's gymnastics. I was a gymnast as a kid too, although I wasn't super good or anything.
- I cannot and have not ever been able to whistle. Believe me, I've tried!
- When it comes to exercise, I hate running, but I love doing yoga and rock climbing.
- When I'm not working, I like grabbing coffee with friends, doing yoga, and exploring the city.