Hi there! I'm Maria Ahrens, and I am a watercolor artist and fashion illustrator in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
I create detailed paintings with thoughtful pops of color and contrast. My artwork is often inspired by fashion, people, architecture, and nature. In addition to selling my paintings and prints, I take on a variety of commissions and collaborations - family and pet portraits, real estate illustration, fashion sketches, brand images, etc. I also do live illustrations at weddings and events.
I have always loved using my talents to express myself and create beautiful things for others to enjoy. My love of drawing emerged as soon as I was old enough to hold a crayon, and I grew up taking as many art classes as I could cram into my schedule. As a teenager I developed an interest in fashion design, which heavily influenced my career path as I entered adulthood.
I earned a degree in Retail Merchandising from the College of Design at the University of Minnesota, and after a few years in the professional world, I launched my art business in November of 2016.
I would describe most of my work as aspirational, feminine and occasionally a bit whimsical. I'm very grateful for the opportunities that I've had to share my perspective, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Thank you for your interest in my artwork!
Get to Know Me - Random Facts
- I have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life. I grew up in Saint Paul, and I currently reside in Minneapolis with my husband, Russ, and our sweet rescue dog, Penny.
- The only professional sport I follow with any dedication is women's gymnastics. Don't ask me about football or baseball - I truly don't have a clue.
- Asparagus. Blech.
- I cannot and have not ever been able to whistle.
- When it comes to exercise, I absolutely despise running, but I love doing vinyasa yoga and rock climbing.
- When I'm not working, I like grabbing coffee with friends, thrift shopping, eating good food, and exploring the city.
Photos by Kate Morris